Thursday, February 23, 2012

Glue Pictures


I love teaching art. When I was first hired at the school I am currently working at I taught elementary and jr. high art. Even though it was tricky at times I really liked teaching art. I love finding new ideas and trying them out. Some of them work and some of them don't, but hey that's life! When I first found out I was going to be teaching art 3 1/2 years ago I found this book. First of all I need to say that I love Usborne Books! This book in particular has so many great ideas! I completely recommend it for teaching art in the classroom. As you can see there are a few sticky notes in it.

One of the best ideas I found in it was "glue pictures." It takes a few days, but it is worth it!

  1. The students create a picture using elmer's glue on cardstock or cardboard. You want the glue to be thick so that when it dries it stays bumpy. 
  2. Once the glue is completely dried paint over it with gold paint. It is ok if the paint isn't overly thick on the paper. Let the paint dry overnight. 
  3. Finally rub brown shoe polish over the entire picture. This gives the picture an antique look. They are beautiful. 
My students did this during February. I asked each one of them to do some design using hearts. They are currently looking beautiful in the windows of my classroom. 

No comments: